Steak And Egg Diet: What Is It And How To Do It?
The first time I heard about the steak and egg diet, I must admit I got a bit confused. I mean, how could you lose weight just by eating steaks and eggs?
But do you know that this approach has become popular among people who want to gain some muscle mass and at the same time maintain it? Now I would like to believe that this diet is powerful.
So in this article, we are going to take a deeper look at what this diet is really about and whether or not it lives up to the hype that it comes with. Are you ready? Then please keep on reading below.
What Is Steak And Egg Diet And How To Do It?
This diet has been developed and popularized by Vince Gironda; hence, it is also often referred to as Vince Gironda diet. He originally created this diet particularly for bodybuilding to help bodybuilders reduce fat at the same time bulk up their muscles.
This diet is already considered to be an old-school bodybuilding approach, but it is still today’s efficient way to build muscle without having the need for any steroids or protein supplements. The bonus is that it is very easy to do; all you will ever need is to eat steak and eggs – one mean during the day and another one during the afternoon or night (as long as it is not past 7PM).
That’s all! You are recommended to eat between 3/4 lb and 1 ½ lb of steak combined with four to six eggs in every meal. You can cook the steak and eggs any way like.
For your eggs, you can have it scrambled, sunny side up, fried in butter or hard-boiled.
Hard-boiled is probably the quickest way to do it and is very filling that it will help you experience lesser hunger pangs.
For your steak, I guess the fastest way to do it is by grilling it with a good chunk of butter.
Generously add some salt and pepper or whatever season you like to taste, like garlic powder a pinch of paprika or garlic powder; don’t worry it won’t affect your diet.
Steak And Egg Diet: Tips On How To Do It Effectively!
Now, why is this diet effective? It can actually be compared to a ketogenic diet, one of the today's most effective diets, which is defined as high fat, low carb diet. It has been designed to bring your body into a ketosis state where your body burns more fats.
Steak and egg diet also allows you to go through intermittent fasting. For instance, you have taken your first meal around 8 AM and your second one around 3 PM, this means from 3 PM to 8 AM the next day, you are effectively fasting for a total of 17 hours. This is a great way to drop extra fat quickly. So make sure you don’t eat during this period so you won’t break your fast.
Anyway, I’ve listed down below some of the tips you can follow to get better results as soon as possible.
1. Don’t eat anything in-between your two meals. Whenever you take even a little bit of carbs, your insulin level will rise and will momentarily block your body’s state of ketosis. So make sure you stick to a strict diet plan.
2. Take a fiber supplement. Since you won’t be able to get much fiber from steak and eggs, it is recommended that you incorporate a fiber supplement into your diet.
3. Have some cheat day. What's great about this approach is that you are given a day to eat whatever you like. Yes, you heard it right! You are free to eat that chocolate sundae you've been craving for or that pizza you think you deserve after a long week of a diet.
You can do this after you have strictly followed the steak and egg diet for five days. In this way, you’ll be able to get some other nutrients into your body as well as to refuel on carbs.
But I highly suggest that you only stick to nutrient-dense healthy foods for best results.
4. Vary your diet. It would be best if you could tailor your consumption of steak and eggs according to your calorie needs. So if you are someone who exercises extensively, then you have to eat more than someone who doesn’t exercise much.
5. Choose your drinks. You are not allowed to drink soda or even diet soda. You can’t have juice either. If you want some coffee, just make sure to keep it to a couple of cups and without sugar. Majority of your fluid intake should be water, drink plenty of it if possible!
This will help you avoid constipation. Remember that you will no longer be eating some carbs; low-carb diets have been known to be the one of the reasons of constipation. So I suggest you also spend some time to learn how to ease low-carb diet constipation.
6. Salt your food. Since you are no longer eating as many carbs as you used to, your body will be eliminating a lot of water. This is because when we get a low amount of carbs, our insulin levels will go down and there will no longer be anything that will stop the extraction of water. Not only that, you will also lose electrolytes.
The best way to stop this is by salting your food. I recommend you use quality salt like Pink Himalayan salt. Then make sure you keep track of the common symptoms of electrolyte deficiency such as diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and lightheadedness. If you have any of these symptoms, use more salt or drink some water with extra salt.
7. Keep on working out. Since this diet will result in a very quick massive loss of fat, there's a tendency that you might also lose your lean body mass. Make sure to squeeze in some work out every day to prevent this from happening.
8. Make your diet enjoyable. Most of my friends don’t want to try this diet just because they are afraid they’d get bored along the way. So I shared with them my secret on how to keep this diet exciting.
You can simply experiment with different cooking method for your steak. Find a couple of ways you can do your steak and alternate them. For me, I do my best to have one recipe every day within the five-day duration. I personally love cooking my steak with butter or season it with so much pepper. I always make sure that I keep things interesting, the ways are limitless.
9. Hang in there! You might encounter some problems after switching to this diet. Of course, you already got used to eating three to five meals a day so there will obviously be an adjustment as you switch to eating two meals a day. Don't worry; the difficulties will only be temporary.
You will most likely start seeing results within several weeks, depending on your health condition, age, and sex. You might even be able to get rid of that stubborn belly fat for as short as two to three weeks.
However, if you are currently overweight, pay extra attention to losing too much fat so quickly since this may result in hanging skin. Of course, we don't want that to happen. I suggest you practice this diet in phases, perhaps by dieting for a couple of weeks with timeouts in between.
Benefits Of Steak And Egg Diet
1. You will less likely feel hunger pangs. Once you will be able to successfully adjust to this diet, you will notice how rarely you get hungry. This is because steak and egg are loaded with proteins and fats that are very satisfying. Protein can keep us full than your favorite carbs.
2. This diet will increase mental focus and alertness. When we eat carbs, we produce glucose that can strongly fluctuate our blood sugar and might make you crash in the middle of the day. Replacing glucose with fat as primary fuel will give you a stable source of energy keeping you more motivated and productive.
3. You’ll get rid of your water weight immediately. The very first thing you’ll notice when going on this diet is how massive your water drop is. This will amount to some initial weight loss. You might even notice a lessening of edema in your legs if you have some.
So if you are someone who wants to naturally burn some body fat and to lose weight, I highly recommend steak and egg diet to you. But you have to be aware that this diet is no fun at all.
Later on, you might find yourself already disgusted from eating the same food over and over and again. But once you start seeing the result, you'd thank me for recommending this diet to you.
Anyway, I hope you learned something new today. If you still have any more questions about this approach, don't hesitate to drop your question in the comment section below. I'd do my best to give you the answer.
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends too!